Friday, January 18, 2008

Nigerian 419 scam: interesting variations

I've been getting 419 scam e-mails for about five years now, but every once in a while, there's an interesting variation on the theme that makes them worth saving. Since I hang onto them, I figured I'd go ahead and share them in case you don't get the same ones.

This first one's different because of the source of the funds: the family that owns the money, in its entirety, is killed in a plane crash. Naturally, because I'm so well known for my integrity, I'm to assist in the stealing of their money. Interestingly, this guy is planning to defraud the bank, but is going to remain in their employ. The personal contact information is also atypical, but that's simply the evolution of the scam. The thing that still amazes me is that this scam is perpetuated entirely electronically, and yet the spelling and grammar is, in every case I have seen so far, atrocious.
Dear firend

With due respect and humility, I wish to write you about this business
proposal. I am a staff in one of the Bank here in Cote D'Ivoire. I am
writing following the impressive regards to you about this business
opportunity.

In my department, I discovered an abandoned sum of USD $25.4M (Twenty
Five Million Four Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) in an account
that belongs to one of our foreign customer who died along with his
entire family in September 2004, in a plane crash. Since the notification
of his death, our Bank have been expecting his next of kin to come
forward and claim his fund because our Bank cannot release it unless
somebody applies for it as next of kin or relation to the deceased as
indicated in our banking guidelines and policies but unfortunately I learnt
that all his supposed next of kin or relation died along side with him at
the plane crash leaving nobody behind for the claims.

It is therefore upon this discovery that I decided to make this
business proposal to you so that we can co-operate with one mind and get this
fund transferred to your bank account as the next of Kin/beneficiary of
the Deceased Account. Since I am still remain in service with this
Bank, and also since nobody is coming forth to claim the money and I don't
want this money to go into the Bank treasury as unclaimed fund. The
request of foreigner as next of kin in this business is occasioned by the
fact that the customer was a foreigner and an Ivorian cannot stand as
next of kin to a foreigner. I will agree that 25% of this money will be
for you as a foreign partner. In respect to the provision of a foreign
bank account where the money will be transfer to, 10% will be map out
for any expenses incurred during the course of the transaction and 65 %
would be for me.

There after I will visit your country for disbursement according to the
percentages indicated. Therefore to enable the immediate transfer of
this fund to you as I arranged, you must apply first to the bank as
relation or next of kin of the deceased indicating your bank name, your
bank account number, your private telephone and fax number for easier and
effective communication and location where the money will be remitted.
Meanwhile, for the first step to proceed, I will advice you to forward
your full name, address, telephone and fax number so that I can make
the registration of your information in our banking system as the next of
Kin/beneficiary of the Deceased Account and I will also backdate it to
the date the account was opened with our Bank.

Upon receipt of your response and after the successful registry of your
information in our banking system I will send to you by fax or email
the text of the application. I will not fail to bring to your notice
that this transaction is hitch free and that you should not entertain any
atom of fear as all required arrangements have been made for the
transfer. You should please contact me as soon as you receive this letter.

I look forward for your response.


Best Regards,
Mr. Julius Akah.
E-mail:juleakah@yahoo.fr
Tél: +22505586622


This second one is interesting because its not about defrauding banks and governments anymore. The twist on the story is that there's a large sum of money that is an inheritance that has to be shipped out of the country to some address of my selection. Seems overly complicated, but its not my scam. Why the security company charged with the box's safe keeping would release it to me and not just send it with her is a bit of a mystery, I guess. Again, the personalizing touch of the e-mail address is given.
Message from Miss Rhodia Punga
Please treat with respect,

My name is Miss RHODIA PUNGA. I am a girl of 21 years old and I am a
citizen of COTE D'IVOIRE (IVORY COAST IN WEST AFRICA), an orphan to the

late former (OBUETI) top cocoa dealer Mr. PAUL PUNGA who died in 2004
as a result of food poison suspected to be given to him by the plans of

his colleaques and uncles because of his fame and wealth, my mother
died when I was 6 years old.

I inherited a total sum of $4.6 million US dollars from my late
parents. This money which is concealed in a metallic trunk box is
deposited in a security and finance company in Ivory Coast under a
secret arrangement as a family treasure and African art works. This
means that the security company does not know the real content of this
box that was sent from the United State of America to Ivory Coast under

a diplomatic coverage.

My main purpose of sending you this mail is because of the way I found
you and perhaps trustworthy to give this priority of shipping this box
of money to any address that you think is very secure and safe in place

with your percentage of which we shall chat on soon. I will come over
to your country to continue my education as soon as the funds is
claimed by you.

There is need for urgent action because I am paying demurrage charges
to the Security Company for safe keeping this consignment. I give
thanks immensely for your co-operation as I look forward to hearing
from you soonest.

Please do contact me through this YAHOO EMAIL address: rdpunga30@yahoo.
co.jp And as soon as I hear from you, I will give you the details of

this transcation and how you will contact the Security Company for the
immediate claim of this trunk box on my behalf.


Best Regard,
RHODIA PUNGA


I thought I had one more, but I can't find it. The last one was a parody, actually, and I really wish I could locate it. I'll keep looking for it, but I'm very disappointed that its not saved where I thought it was. It was quite excellent.

No comments: