Saturday, February 23, 2008

I Have The Best of Friends

I met my bro Murray at SHOT in Orlando. He may be the only Scot I know, but he'd be my favorite regardless. Murray and I hit it off immediately; he's one of my small handful of brothers-from-another-mother.

My bro sent me another very cool birthday present. Last year, he sent me a bottle of Tobermory 10 YO single malt. I'm still savoring that bottle, enjoying it little by little, as it should be. Another box arrived from my bro. In it, I find this:

The Macallan Fine Oak Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky Ten Years Old. Oh my, is this stuff nice. And, like the Tobermory, very unlike other Scottish single malts.It doesn't have that traditional peaty and smokey characteristic that many Islay whiskies do, but that is not to say that it is to the Macallan's detriment. This 
particular whisky is aged in American oak barrels, sourced from Southern whiskey 
makers. They are supplied by distilleries like Jack Daniels, Maker's Mark, and other
distilleries from this area. In addition, more aging is done in barrels that have 
previously held sherry, in both American and European oak barrels. The brewmeister
(or head distiller or other proper name) really knows what he's doing! Unusual,to be sure, but with awesome results!

The box says the nose is "Complex, with a hint of fruit and heather honey. It says of the Palate, "Soft and Malty, balanced with oak and fruit. Of the finish, the box proclaims that it is "lingering, with a hint of oak and fruit". I'd be lying if I said I could pick all that out, but I'm learning...and learning is the fun part! Thank you, Murray! You ROCK!!!

No comments: