Sunday, September 13, 2009

A rough weekend.

I haven't felt a whole lot like blogging these last couple days. Found out that a couple of good dudes, one a soldier, one a contractor, were killed over the weekend. One was Javahed, a Lightfighter forum plank owner. He helped shape the community there with his sense of humor and expert information on a variety of matters. The other was one of our regulars at ATS, SSG Shane Angell of 3rd batt, 5th SFG. My friend M4 Guru posted this on LF:
Official word from our CoC after all notifications had occured.


quote:
It is with a heavy heart and deep sense of loss that I report to you we have lost a fellow 3rd Battalion Soldier. SSG Shane Angell, 26, ODA 5*** died of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident at approximately 3:30 PM, 11 SEP 2009 on Hwy 100 (Franklin Road) about six miles east of Russellville, KY. Shane is survived by his wife, Ashley, daughter Skylie, Mother and Father, SGM (Ret) Glenn Angell, 3rd Battalion, 5th SFG(A). I ask that you keep the entire Angell family in your thoughts and prayers
__________________


Shane was a good guy with a lot of potential. We had just returned from OIF which adds to the tragedy.


It's one thing to lose one in the line of duty. It sucks bad, but chances are those that did it will get paid back. When it happens after a deployment, it just goes to show how fragile life really is. Prayers out for the family. This is the part of my job, both with the company and as an admin on the forum, that I can really do without.

4 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

I'm very truly sorry for the loss of your friend.
While some of my moto-buddies might say that such a passing occurred while doing what the rider loved - that is riding - I find small consolation in that compared to the jealousy I have for Life itself.

Anonymous said...

Shane was my husband. I think that is the worst part of this whole thing. I knew he could die over there...I was prepared for it every time he was gone.

But at home? 3 miles from my house? While I watch all the cops and the coroner drive by my house to get to the accident scene...that was the hardest part.

At least over there he would have died for something...I just cant believe it happened here...so shortly after his return...we all thought he was home and safe.

Haji said...

Mrs. Angell-I am so sorry for your loss. Your family is in my prayers. Thank you for taking the time to comment. It helps me to remember that on the other side of the screen, real people are dealing with real things in the real world. And we're not alone.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. There are no words. Haji, I am sorry that you have been touched by such grief.

Mrs. Angell, I will be praying for you and your family. May God touch you and bring you some peace. Heal your hurt. If you need to talk, and you just want someone to listen, you can email me here.

stillwatersrage@gmail.com

Haj, that goes for you, too.