Saturday, May 10, 2008

New Gun Parts! Ace rail sling mount

I know, I know. Another gun parts post. What can I say? I really haven't done much of anything these days that didn't have something to do with guns. Blog what ya know, I guess. The big action item on the to-do list is to watch the Laker game tomorrow and catch Iron Man when Top gets back from Flo'da in a week. The pace of life is a little slower here in KY than it is in Cali. lol!

I'm still diggin' my Blue Force Gear Vickers Combat Action Sling, but I've got a couple of VTAC's now, too, and I'm thinking about swapping them. I think the only really good course of action would be to get another rifle or two, but I'm not sure how I'm gonna pull that off with my current cash flow. I have some a'rns in th' f'ar right now, but it'll take a little while to shake out. At any rate, I'm still running the VCAS at this time, and I still dig it a lot. Highly recommended.

The problem I had with the sling really doesn't have anything to do with the sling, but rather my old-style Daniel Defense QD sling mount. As both the readers of my blog know, I'm a big fan of the DD stuff. The latest version of this mount has a limited range of rotation that my older model doesn't have. 

The reason that's significant is that if the QD swivel is free to rotate, your sling will become tangled, rolling up on itself. The newer, slimmer design doesn't spin all the way around, so that can't happen. However, the shop was sold out of 'em when I went lookin' for a mount. Several of my more gun savvy friends have been raving about a new fixed rail mounted sling design by Ace, which I decided to give a shot.

There are two versions, a 1 1/4" and a 1 1/2". I went with the smaller one. Its a nicely made part: the edges have all been broken, and the inside edge of the sling path has been radiused.

Its very slim and once its tightened down, its rock solid. I think I oughta Locktite that bad boy, but I haven't done it yet.


I think I saw one in flat dark earth, too, at one point. I could go check...but...nah. I don't care enough to do that right now. Mine's black, and it goes well with the rest of the black. Obviously I need to hook up some black ladder covers, but I haven't managed to do that yet.

The best part of this mount is the price: its only about $20. So far, I'm totally stoked with it, and its solving my problem nicely. I still have that Daniel Defense mount, so I guess that means I have to get another carbine goin'. Somewhere there's gotta be $1200 I can spend on a Colt 6920.

8 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

Ok, now that I'm back from vacation I am starting to think seriously about the sling-thing. The Vickers was a first choice because I loved how you could just click it in there - but I hadn't thought about the twisting swivel and all that seriously.

Haji said...

The twisting finally got my goat. If you decide to go with a QD sling swivel, make sure it is rotation-limiting. Daniel Defense makes a great one, and I'm sure there are others. If you don't want the QD feature, then get the Ace part and be happy. A lot of BTDT shooters have told me they're not necessary, but some say they are. The guys who say they're not necessary generally just drop their arm through the sling so its around their neck, then take it off. You decide, I guess!

NotClauswitz said...

Thanks! I wasn't aware that the QD swivel itself was the element that was rotation limited. I thought it must be on the female receiving side on my rail, since I had read inquiries about that (rails).
This looks like a better loop than the Midwest Industries stud and Uncle Mikes wobble-slingpoint I cobbed together in that it fits closer and there's no wobbular aspect such as three points of failure available.

Haji said...

Its the base that limits the rotation, since the QD swivel itself will spin as far as it's allowed to. I think you'd like either one more than The Wobbulator that's in the photo.

NotClauswitz said...

The base (rail) limits it, ok - that
s where I was at first thought. The SWS rail on my Noveske doesn't do that as far as I know. IMO the plug-it-in QD swivel is a highlight-feature - or maybe it isn't as you have shown. I like that Ace sling attachment point, it can go at 3:00 or at 6:00 and it's dead simple.

Haji said...

The base that attaches to the rail limits it. If you're using a built-in-to-the-rail QD attachment, then if they didn't put a rotation limiting device in the QD attachment point, it'll spin freely.

NotClauswitz said...

The Noveske/SWS's are built-in and have no rotation limiter (from what I've read-around at M4.net) but it can't hurt to buy an Ace and give it a go, or a Vickers sling too, either. :-)
I just wanna be able to *click-in* because it's kewl and you can't do that with an M1 Garand... ;-)

Haji said...

You understand. LOL!