Saturday, May 26, 2007

Happy Birthday, Duke!


Today would have been John Wayne's 100th birthday. A century later, he's still got unbelievable charisma and staying power. I'm still a huge, huge fan. The man was one of the originators of cool. The embodiment of the warrior spirit. A man's man. Would that I could have met him. There's not much about John Wayne that hasn't already been said, so I won't blather on about it with stuff that's already been covered. I will quote a line from one of my favorite Duke movies, The Quiet Man. I love this line because it encompasses how the Duke lived his life, standing up for what he believed in. As Sean Thornton, former boxer who killed a man in the ring, who's moved back to his ancestral home in Ireland:

'If you say "three," mister, you'll never hear the man count "ten." '

No comments: